[yt-users] Define a derived field of disk surface density

Suoqing JI suoqing at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 17 23:24:13 PDT 2014

Hi,

I’m working on FLASH 3D Cartesian AMR data, and would like to define a derived field of surface density, so I can use surface density field to calculate other derived fields.

My current script does give desired results (slice_y: http://i.imgur.com/XigIYJc.png   slice_z: http://i.imgur.com/kA2Fmlt.png, and the disk is cut from original data). However, it’s extremely inefficient, because I cast a ray through disk height for every cells located on x-y plane surface of each AMR block.

So is there any clever way to define surface density as a derived field in YT, as what the figures attached show? Or some way without defining surface density as a derived field, but I can get access to surface density values when computing other derived fields?

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes,
--
Suoqing JI