[yt-users] Fitting an absorption spectrum

Andrew James Emerick aje2123 at columbia.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:02:22 PST 2014

Hillary & Pengfei,

I'm going to hopefully add to this discussion. I've been working for a
little bit on some improvements to the fitting procedure, primarily because
I've been interested in being able to fit spectra with specified
uncertainties and a significant amount of noise.

Although down the line my (quite extensive) modifications to the fitting
procedure may be problematic to merge with the main repo, I would be very
interested in obtaining a new test case to try out my version on. Even
though my modifications were in the context of noisy spectra, they still
may perform well in dealing with the strange results you are seeing.

I may or may not be of help here, but if you don't mind sending your
absorption spectra over to me to test it out I would appreciate it. The
turnaround time on this may be long, but I should be able to get to play
around with it soon and let you know what happens.

If things go well, I'll point you to my fork where you can obtain the
modifications I've made.

Andrew E.

Graduate Student
Columbia University