[yt-users] issues with bbox filtering

Desika Narayanan dnarayan at haverford.edu
Mon Jun 23 07:57:26 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I'm playing around with filtering out particles from an SPH data set using
the bounding box.  I have a (somewhat lengthy but not complicated) notebook
that highlights some of the capabilities (and an issue that I've found)
here:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/dnarayanan/517b736c9bb0cd72a6fa

The notebook does 3 things:

1. It first loads a snapshot from a cosmological simulation, and does a
projection plot.

2. It then sets a smaller bounding box, and attempts to zoom in on that
region (centered on the max density).   This works great.

3. Perplexingly, though, when I try basically the exact same code (the
section after the second image) but with a different snapshot in the same
simulation, I get a particle out of bounds error.

One relevant clue is that this error only comes when trying to access
smoothed quantities (i.e. the snippets where I try to access [as an
example] the SFR gives no problems).    Probably obvious, but this is the
bleeding edge yt (most recent update).

Any thoughts would definitely be welcome.

thanks,
desika