[yt-users] syntax error when defining a new field

Mike Butler mbutler.astro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 04:28:01 PDT 2014

Hello, I am using the latest version of yt-3.0 and am having some problems
defining a new field.  Here is an example of a field that produces an error:
def _Sigm(field,data): return data["Density"]
add_field("Sigma",function=_Sigm,units=r"\rm{g}/\rm{cm}^{2}",display_name=r"\Sigma")

and this is the error I get when I try to do a projection of it:

  File "<string>", line 1
    \Symbol ('rm' ,positive =True ){Symbol ('g' ,positive =True )}/\Symbol
('rm' ,positive =True ){Symbol ('cm' ,positive =True )}^{Integer (2 )}

^
SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

It works fine on the stable and dev versions of yt.  Has something changed
for defining fields in 3.0?

Thanks,

Mike