[yt-users] Does anybody have a sample script for plotting a time-series of images from frb's?

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Thu Jan 16 08:25:29 PST 2014

you might also want to keep in mind the matplotlib tight_layout() command
which really helps with the spacing, etc. when doing multiple plots.

Mike

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Kathy,
>
> Thanks for writing!  Sorry to hear things aren't working.
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Kathy Eastwood <kathy.eastwood at nau.edu>
> wrote:
> > Hi, everybody
> >
> > I've been working off the example scripts on the yt website, and can't
> quite
> > seem to do what I want to do.  I want to plot something like 20
> tall/skinny
> > images in a horizontal row, and label the time steps below, and put the
> > colorbar vertically.  I am constrained to using frb's because my images
> are
> > not square.  I have managed to make a plot with three such images,
> although
> > I haven't managed to put in the time step labels, and there is white
> space
> > between the images.  But it was very much brute force -- I had to create
> > separate set of axes for each image.
>
> So, I think you might end up having to do it brute force.  Getting the
> layout precisely correct may be tricky, and you'll probably want to
> adjust it carefully to make it look exactly as you like.
>

> > All the example scripts that use frb's use the "get_multi_plot" inside
> yt,
> > whereas the only example of a time series in the image plots uses the
> > AxesGrid from matplotlib. I have not managed to make the AxesGrid work
> with
> > an frb.  There is also a non-image-plotting example in the bootcamp of
> using
> > "TimeSeriesData" to go through a lot of files, which would be great, but
> > have not been able to figure out how to translate that into what I need.
>
> get_multi_plot is not the best -- I think AxesGrid might be the best
> bet, but I have not had too much experience.  In general, you may not
> even need it, if you can construct your own axes by creating a Figure
> in matplotlib of the right size, and then Axes objects within it.  But
> I'm not sure I have a ready made solution that does 20 in a row.  I
> know Jeff Oishi has done N in a row (where 5<N<20) but I don't know if
> he's got the script handy.
>
> -Matt
>

> > If anybody has a sample script of something vaguely similar to this, I
> would
> > really appreciate it!
> >
> > thanks
> > kathy
> >
> > --
> > Kathy DeGioia Eastwood, Ph.D.
> > Professor of Physics and Astronomy
> > Northern Arizona University
> > Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6010
> > Ph: 928-523-7159   FX: 928-523-1371
> > Kathy.Eastwood at nau.edu
> > deliveries: 602 S. Humphreys St., Bldg 19 Rm 209

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale