[yt-users] Building yt on Hopper

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Sat Feb 1 15:25:53 PST 2014

has anyone asked NERSC whether they'd be willing to install it sitewide as
a loadable module on hopper?  I'm sure there are lots of us who would want
to use yt there.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Andrew Myers <atmyers2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Hilary,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me - if I
> install ipython manually, it still fails with the same error message.
>
> I think I'll try to ask this at StackOverflow as well, as per Nathan's
> suggestion.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>

> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Hilary Egan <hilaryye at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I saw the same problem when I was installing on CU's janus machine. I'm
>> pretty sure that I got around it by building just ipython by hand and
>> making sure I was on the compile node when I tried it- no idea if there is
>> an equivalent for Hopper.
>>
>> -download and untar ipython.tar.gz (http://archive.ipython.org/release/)
>>  -cd ipython
>> -python setup.py install
>> -touch done
>>
>> Caveat: I have no idea why this worked when the install script didn't,
>> and I'm just basing my answer on the note I jotted down a few months ago.
>> There's definitely some sort of discussion out there already about this
>> being a problem in some versions in pyzmq (
>> https://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq/pull/218).  Hope that helps!
>>
>> -Hilary
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I'm not sure what the issue is.
>>>
>>> You might try asking this question on StackOverflow (tagging it with
>>> IPython and ZMQ) or the IPython-dev mailing list, some of the ZMQ/IPy
>>> devs will be more likely to see it.
>>>
>>> Nathan

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy * Stony Brook University * Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale