[yt-users] Issues Installing yt

Alex Bogert bogart.alex at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 11:15:38 PST 2014

Hi all,

I am trying to install yt using pip in an anaconda environment I just
setup. I am running into an issue with freetype. I installed freetype from
this location:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype and I created the
freetype.cfg file as shown in the example. Yet, installing with pip
produces the same error that it cannot read the FTYPE location from
freetype.cfg .

Thanks,
Alex

Install Log :

Downloading/unpacking yt
  Downloading yt-2.6.1.tar.gz (2.3MB): 2.3MB downloaded
  Running setup.py
(path:/global/scratch2/sd/bogert/pip_build_bogert/yt/setup.py) egg_info for
package yt
    non-existing path in 'yt/utilities/spatial': 'tests'
    PNG_LOCATION: PNG found via ctypes in: /usr/include, /usr/lib64
    Reading FTYPE location from freetype.cfg failed.
    Please place the base directory of your
    FTYPE install in freetype.cfg and restart.
    (ex: "echo '/usr/local/' > freetype.cfg" )
    You can locate the path by looking for ft2build.h
    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info: