[yt-users] GADGET visualization

Andrew Weis aweis at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Feb 24 13:18:38 PST 2014

Hello,

I am an astronomy graduate student at Columbia University, and am trying to
use YT to create a 3D visualization of GADGET simulations.  Matt Turk
suggested I send an email to this list while he is traveling.  I have seen
that the source code for visualizing GADGET data is in
yt/frontends/sph/data_structures.py, but am not sure how to access/use
this?  I have looked at:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/hub.yt-project.org/notebooks/e209c55b6aaa4a9ab12c55422bb3afdc.ipynb

and
http://yt-project.org/doc/visualizing/volume_rendering.html#generating-a-homogenized-volume

but remain unsure of where to find the relevant source code/what I do with
it after I find it.  Matt explained that
yt/frontends/sph/data_structures.py is "where the data frontend is. The
broader yt codebase uses that to index and manage the data but it uses
generic interfaces on top," and encouraged me to email the list for more
information.   Where is the relevant code?  Also, where does the generic
vs. frontend interface distinction appear?

Best,
Andrew Weis