[yt-users] yt for PLUTO

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 05:35:43 PST 2014

Hi Varadarajan,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Varadarajan Parthasarathy
<varada at camk.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I read through the webpages of yt-project and came to know that
> PLUTO is partly supported for yt and there is still a scope for creating a
> new code front end. To that extent, I would like to inform with how much I
> could get into this:
>
> import h5py
> from yt.mods import *
>
> f = h5py.File("/.../.../testproblem/data.nnnn.dbl.h5", "r")
>
> print f.items()
> [(u'cell_coords', <HDF5 group "/cell_coords" (3 members)>), (u'node_coords',
> <HDF5 group "/node_coords" (3 members)>), (u'vars', <HDF5 group "/vars" (5
> members)>)]
>
> print f.keys()
> [u'cell_coords', u'node_coords', u'vars']
>
> where cell_coords and node_coords are X, Y, Z cell and node contain
> different values. 'vars' are 'prs', 'rho', 'vx1', 'vx2', 'vx3'.
>
> But after this I am not able to get the data into the dictionary and hence
> unable to produce plots. I did see through the PLUTO specified field list,
> but I am not able to make the way out. Also, the simulation was not run with
> Chombo refinement, but I hope it may not be a serious issue. Moreover, the
> procedure given in loading a generic array data for HDF5 files was a bit
> confusing with regard to,
>
> data_dir = ytcfg.get('yt','test_data_dir')
> f = h5py.File(data_dir+"/Unigriddata/....h5", "r")
>
> can anyone explain if this 'test_data_dir' is just the working directory and
> then 'f' consists of the file, else the procedure that I have followed
> directly is still correct.
>
> I will be really glad if I can get to do data analysis and other such stuff
> with yt.

Sorry that there's been some trouble with getting the data in.  We've
recently been re-working our frontends, and PLUTO may need to be
updated.  If you can suggest some sample data that can be used as an
example, we can try updating the frontend to load it correctly.

-Matt