[yt-users] yt for PLUTO

Varadarajan Parthasarathy varada at camk.edu.pl
Mon Feb 17 14:16:37 PST 2014

Hi,

        I read through the webpages of yt-project and came to know that
PLUTO is partly supported for yt and there is still a scope for creating a
new code front end. To that extent, I would like to inform with how much I
could get into this:

import h5py
from yt.mods import *

f = h5py.File("/.../.../testproblem/data.nnnn.dbl.h5", "r")

print f.items()
[(u'cell_coords', <HDF5 group "/cell_coords" (3 members)>),
(u'node_coords', <HDF5 group "/node_coords" (3 members)>), (u'vars', <HDF5
group "/vars" (5 members)>)]

print f.keys()
[u'cell_coords', u'node_coords', u'vars']

where cell_coords and node_coords are X, Y, Z cell and node contain
different values. 'vars' are 'prs', 'rho', 'vx1', 'vx2', 'vx3'.

But after this I am not able to get the data into the dictionary and hence
unable to produce plots. I did see through the PLUTO specified field list,
but I am not able to make the way out. Also, the simulation was not run
with Chombo refinement, but I hope it may not be a serious issue. Moreover,
the procedure given in loading a generic array data for HDF5 files was a
bit confusing with regard to,

data_dir = ytcfg.get('yt','test_data_dir')
f = h5py.File(data_dir+"/Unigriddata/....h5", "r")

can anyone explain if this 'test_data_dir' is just the working directory
and then 'f' consists of the file, else the procedure that I have followed
directly is still correct.

I will be really glad if I can get to do data analysis and other such stuff
with yt.

I hope to hear soon.

Regards.,
Varadarajan