[yt-users] Field based on neighbour cells

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 10:48:46 PST 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM, José Utreras <jutreras at das.uchile.cl>
wrote:

> Thanks for your answer John
> I have to define sl_right, sl_center :global name 'sl_right' is not
> defined
>
> I'm not really sure how to do it. I want to do something like these:
>
> vx = data["gas", "velocity_x"][sl_right,sl_center,sl_center]
> vx+= data["gas", "velocity_x"][sl_center,sl_right,sl_center]

Hi Jose,

This code looks like came from the definition of the vorticity field.
You're correct that ftype, sl_right, sl_center, and sl_left aren't defined
inside the voriticity field definition.  That's because the voriticity
field is a closure (a special type of python function that is able to use
varibles defined in the enclosing scope around the function definition).
I'd encourage you to take a look at yt/fields/fluid_vector_fields.py to see
how this works inside yt:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/5007c9a46622118abab89dc153dbfb6591cc5177/yt/fields/fluid_vector_fields.py?at=yt

> add the x velocity of 6 neighbour cells.

Your field definition will need a ValidateSpatial field validator (like
vorticity). ValidateSpatial will make it so data is passed into a field
definition along with a user-selectable number of ghost zones.