[yt-users] does anyone use volume_rendering's PerspectiveCamera?

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Thu Dec 4 12:56:25 PST 2014

Hi Stuart, I've had a similar experience and haven't looked back at it in
about 6 mos.  I was planning on waiting until the new renderer is in, and
then I was going to try again.

Mike

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Stuart Levy <salevy at illinois.edu> wrote:

> I know it's being rewritten, thanks to Sam and Cameron and others, but I'm
> hoping to use some sort of perspective camera for volume rendering.   (What
> I'll eventually want is the dome camera which I know also exists, but
> wanted to start with a simpler plane-projection perspective camera.)
>
> What I get: plausible images from the default orthographic Camera, but
> reliably blank images from PerspectiveCamera.
>
> If I extract the sampler rays from PerspectiveCamera and plot them, they
> always seem to point in the hemisphere away from the given center point.
>  If I change the sign of Z width, the viewpoint is put on the opposite side
> of the data region, and the rays still point away from it.
> Also they're extremely short, like .001 or so of the distance from the
> viewpoint to the center point - much too short to intersect anything if the
> viewpoint is outside of the data volume.
>
> If I hack the sampler vectors in PerspectiveCamera to (a) reverse their
> direction and (b) make them many times longer, I do see something.
>
> I don't know whether I'm passing nonsense parameters to PerspectiveCamera,
> or whether its current code is really not right...?
>
> A sample program, which contains its own replacement for Camera.snapshot()
> that allows for tweaking PerspectiveCamera rays, is in:
>
> http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5240/

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale