[yt-users] Running yt in parallel on a subset of available processes

Daniel Fenn dsfenn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 09:47:04 PST 2014

Is there a way to restrict yt to only use a subset of the available
processes when it's running in parallel? I have a set of ipython engines
running, and I'm trying to launch a yt script on a subset of them, but it
just hangs. It works fine if I launch the same script on all the processes.

Printing out MPI.COMM_WORLD.Get_size() from the script gives the total
number of engines, not the size of the subset I'm trying to use.

I haven't done a lot of parallel programming, but I would guess that the
running processes are waiting on one that's not running a yt script, since
they can see the total number of processes available, but not the size of
the subset of processes that are actually running a yt script.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks,

Dan