[yt-users] export_obj function for Blender3D

Dionysopoulou K. K.Dionysopoulou at soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 15:01:00 PST 2014

Dear all,

I am trying to use the yt export_obj function in order to be able to use yt in conjunction with Blender3D. I am very new to yt, so I tried the simple example you have here:

http://yt-project.org/doc/visualizing/sketchfab.html

and here

http://blog.yt-project.org

My problem is that even when using the data suggested in the webpage the code snippet provided fails to produce the mtl and obj files. After taking a quick look at the code I noticed the initial problem was caused by inconsistent units for the emissivity (maybe a typo in the docs?). I also changed ‘mpc’ to ‘Mpc’ as yt was complaining that the domain was too small. Even after these minor changes the export_obj function does not seem to work for me. The error messages are attached in the python notebook below (the notebook is basically just a copy and paste from the provided ones in the websites above).

The similar (but different) export_sketchfab function seems to work fine for the same data. I cannot really figure out what goes wrong with the export_obj function and any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kyriaki Dionysopoulou
Mathematical Sciences
University of Southampton