[yt-users] Nightly binary builds of yt for Anaconda Python

John Zuhone jzuhone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:39:45 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

I’ve set up some nightly binary builds of yt that are installable via
Anaconda Python:

https://binstar.org/jzuhone/yt/files

These build a binary package of yt from whatever the tip of the main
repository is every night. I’m still working the kinks out of
scheduling the builds, but there should be very recent versions of yt
up there for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X (all 64-bit only).

I’d like folks to test these out at their leisure to see how they hold
up under different platforms. If you don’t want to mess up your
current Anaconda/yt setup, you can test it out in a separate Anaconda
environment on the same machine. To set up a new conda environment,
start with Step 1 below. If you’re ok with installing it in the
default environment, you can skip to Step 2.

Step 1:

You can setup a new Anaconda Python environment, completely separate
from the default one, using “conda create”, e.g.:

conda create -n test_yt python=2.7 numpy=1.8

which will set up a completely new conda environment which can be
activated at will. You should see some instructions like this:

#
# To activate this environment, use:
# $ source activate test_yt
#
# To deactivate this environment, use:
# $ source deactivate
#

After you activate this environment, the prompt will indicate that you
are in this new environment (in this example “yt_test”), and anything
you do will NOT touch your default install at all.

Step 2:

Install the yt nightly using:

conda install -c https://conda.binstar.org/jzuhone yt==dev

And you’re done! Let me know what happens!

Best,

John Z