[yt-users] yt-3.0 density gradient

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 15:04:54 PDT 2014

Hi Lile,

This is due to a known issue in yt-3.0.  Right now ghost zone generation
has only been implemented for periodic boundary conditions. In yt-2, all
simulations were assumed to have periodic boundary conditions, so it would
incorrectly assume that for your dataset and generate ghost zones as if it
were periodic.

Instead of silently generating incorrect results, yt-3 now issues the error
you're seeing when trying to select data outside of the simulation domain
for non-periodic datasets.

Improving support for ghost zones at the simulation boundary for
non-periodic datasets is on the roadmap for yt 3.1:
https://trello.com/c/lLlqF0zp

You should be able to "cheat" and tell yt that your dataset is periodic
when it really isn't by doing the following:

ds = yt.load(filename)
ds.periodicity = (True, True, True)

Hope that's helpful,

Nathan