[yt-users] Slice Plot Gadget Problem

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:12:52 PDT 2014

Hi Jared,

Try instead:

yt.SlicePlot(ds, 'z', ('gas', 'density'), width=(10000., 'kpc'), center
='m')

(note the lower-case).

('Gas', 'Density') is a particle field, i.e. the Density values associated
with each of the Gas particles in your simulation.  ('gas', 'density') is a
mesh field - for SPH it is the smoothed gas density, taken from the
original Gas particles.  Particle fields are unstructured, the field is
only defined at the positions where particles exist.  Mesh fields are
defined over the whole simulation domain.

Unfortunately there's some name collision here for gadget binary files so I
can see how this is confusing.  At the very least we should catch that
you're trying to create a SlicePlot of a particle field and crash with a
nicer, more understandable error.

More detail on the difference between particle and mesh fields as well as
fields in yt in general here:
http://yt-project.org/docs/3.0/analyzing/fields.html

Hope that helps,

-Nathan