[yt-users] Problems using Rockstar in yt

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:41:22 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to use Rockstar with the new HaloCatalog functionality in yt
3.0, but I'm encountering some problems.  For reference, this is an OS X
box with the "yt" branch.  I've tested it on two OS X systems to the same
result.

I modified my install_script.py to have it install Rockstar as described
here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/analysis_modules/halo_finders.html#rockstar-installation

Then, after rerunning my install script for the `yt` branch (ie yt-3.1 dev)
I tried to run the script provided here in order to generate a halo catalog
using HOP:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/analysis_modules/halo_transition.html#getting-halo-information

It can create the catalog fine with finder_method='hop', but when I change
it to finder_method='rockstar', I get failures.  This is the traceback:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/TE2DW8gc50urchv4JnUk

In the traceback, it claims that it cannot access librockstar.so, but this
library exists in the yt-x86_64/lib directory, which is explicitly in from
my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I can seemingly get it to work, if I add that path to
my $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, but then a bunch of other
things break (like vi).  Not sure what to do here.

But assuming there is no vi problem here, even then, when I run the script
above, I get failures.  Here is the traceback:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/rCOT1eVT1szR1T6DEUDb

I'm not sure what to do here.  I've also tried running rockstar external to
yt on an enzo dataset, but it doesn't appear that the version we install as
part of yt allows it to work on HDF5 datasets.

Has anyone run into any of these problems before?  I'm at a bit of a loss
as to how to proceed on any of these fronts.

Cameron

--
Cameron Hummels
Postdoctoral Researcher