[yt-users] coLaboratory Chrome App

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:37:11 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Some of you might be interested in a few news bits today:
http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2014/08/doing-data-science-with-colaboratory.html
and
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/august-2014/open-access-to-the-universe

What's even cooler than the fact that you can now load up an ipython
notebook that runs sandboxed in your Chrome browser is that because Matt is
the one compiling all these python tools into the Chrome app, we went ahead
and included a very recent version of yt 3.0!

Then we went a bit further, and baked in thingking (
https://bitbucket.org/zeropy/thingking) and some DarkSky tools, so when you
put it all together now anyone and everyone can access data from the
DarkSky simulations. If you install the chrome app
(
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/colaboratory-notebook/pianggobfjcgeihlmfhfgkfalopndooo)
then check out some examples:
​
 Dark Sky Examples
<https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B7ET8zdoN208T1ZRNnk4cUJ0YnM&usp=drive_web>
​
We (Matt, Mike Warren, and I) would love to hear feedback if you try things
out. I expect there will some growing pains with the interface, but we're
all pretty excited about finally getting this out.  Congrats to Matt and
the Chrome/Jupyter teams!

Cheers,
Sam