[yt-users] mayavi

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:36:21 PDT 2014

Hi Kathy,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Kathy Eastwood <kathy.eastwood at nau.edu> wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> Has anyone tried using mayavi inside yt? I see that it can be called inside
> an ipynb....
>
> Just curious...I'm getting kind of frustrated with the 3d aspects of
> matplotlib.
> kathy

I've tried this in the past, but have not had amazing success.  I
think a *few* types of exploration will work, but maybe not all.  For
instance, you can probably quite easily get the contents of a covering
grid displayed, and probably things like surfaces and so on, but I
don't think it will be able to natively handle multiresolution data.
(Or at least, it couldn't a while ago.)  I suspect, though, that
anything you can do with matplotlib's 3d capabilities can be done
nicely with mayavi.

Do let us know if you manage to get something -- it would be really
awesome if you did!