[yt-users] Volume renderings that are too dark

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:22:56 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm having some issues with volume renderings being too dark in yt 2.x.  I
know that in the past, people have recommended using the "clip_ratio"
argument in the various Camera methods in order to enhance the output image
by clipping the values at some multiple of the standard deviation of the
array.  Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting it to actually do
anything recently.

I slightly modified the notebook from the yt docs cookbook entry on the
TransferFunctionHelper to demonstrate this issue.  If you scroll down to
the bottom of the notebook to the bold text, you'll see what I mean.
 Perhaps I'm misusing this infrastructure, but I figured I'd check with
people here to set me straight.

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/anonymous/11196301

Oh, and note that this is simply an example--I don't think *this* VR is too
dark in the notebook, but many of the ones that I generate are too dark,
and I'd like to brighten them.

Thanks for the help!

Cameron

--