[yt-users] Overplotting equipotential contours from total potential

trobolo dinni trobolo.trobolo.dinni5 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 18:59:26 PDT 2013

Hi Matt,

yes, I am using Enzo.
I am sure that my gravitational field does not include the particles, in
fact the gravity contribution of their masses is missing from the potential
(I am not using standard dark matter particles and I think the contribution
to gravity of this particle type is added after Enzo computes the standard
potential field). In fact if for example I plot the equipotential contours
for the default Grav_Potential I get just the equipotential surfaces for
the gas.

I dug in yt yesterday to understand what was going on and why it did not
like my potential, in fact I checked exactly the quantities you asked me
for bot Grav_Potential and my user defined Total_Grav_Potential (in cgs):

*In [1309]: grav_pot.min()*
*Out[1309]: -38532761511174.227*
*In [1310]: grav_pot.max()*
*Out[1310]: -1240331838330.0188*
*In [1311]: grav_pot.size*
*Out[1311]: 16777216*

*
In [1313]: tot_grav_pot.min()
Out[1313]: -417049888736805.5
In [1314]: tot_grav_pot.max()
Out[1314]: -3796359609406.9697
In [1315]: tot_grav_pot.size
Out[1315]: 16777216
*
*
*
I checked that the values were changing correctly as the sum of the the
three partial potentials (gas, part1 and part2), and they are ok. Also the
total length of the array is ok. So what I did next was defining
the Total_Grav_Potential field as

* def _Total_Grav_Potential(field,data): *

* #adds the current particle potential to the total potential*
* total_grav_potential = data['Grav_Potential'] *
* *
* return total_grav_potential*
*
*
so that it just returned the standard Grav_Potential field. Also in this
case the result was the same, i.e. I got the same error if clim was not
defined and no contours when clim was defined. Hence the problem was in how
the field was added to the yt fields.
I went checking the Creating Derived Fields page in the yt docs and the
fields.py file from my yt to see how fields were created, so I started
adding parameters to the add_field() function one at the time to understand
if they were responsible for the problem.
Turned out that the validators were the problem, in particular I had to
validate the following fields:

*
validators=ValidateDataField(["Grav_Potential","particle_position_x","particle_position_z","particle_position_z"])
*
*
*
which are the exactly the native Enzo fields that I used inside the
function definition (the used derived fields are instead ok!). So in the
end I used this:

* add_field("Total_Grav_Potential", \*
*        function=_Total_Grav_Potential, \*
*        take_log= False , \*
*        particle_type= True, \*
*
validators=ValidateDataField(["Grav_Potential","particle_position_x","particle_position_z","particle_position_z"]),
\*
*        vector_field= False, \*
*        units=r"\rm{erg}/\rm{g}")*

and now I get the contours.
I uploaded the plots here: http://postimg.org/gallery/5zomtyto/

The problem is solved but I do not really quite understand why the native
Enzo fields have to be validated.
Can I ask you if you can explain me what is happening in your opinion?

Concerning the coding suggestions, looks definitely better to do the
conversions at the end and use more derived fields, I will rewrite it
starting from your template.

Thank you very much for the help!
                                                      Roberto