[yt-users] install script crash in older version of Mac OS X

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 11:19:33 PDT 2013

Hi Junhwan,

We use shasum to calculate hashes of the packages the install script
downloads from yt-project.org.  This ensures we do not try to unpack and
install corrupted downloads.

The issue you're running into is that Apple did not ship the shasum binary
on OS X 10.5, although it is available on 10.6 and newer.  According to
this (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7500691/rvm-sha256sum-nor-shasum-found)
StackOverflow discussion, you should be able to work around this issue by
temporarily defining a sha512sum function:

function sha512sum() { openssl sha512 "$@" | awk '{print $2}'; }

You'll need to add this as a line in your .bash_profile, I believe.  Note
that I haven't tested this so there may be issues.

Also, 10.5 is nearly six years old at this point.  Many software packages
only support 10.6 or newer.  It may be a good idea to consider updating to
Snow Leopard, which is only $20.00.

-Nathan