[yt-users] "Partial" Projection

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 08:24:14 PDT 2013

Hi Munier,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Munier Azzam Salem
<msalem at astro.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
>         I'm a bit confused on the projection plot. By default, when you hand
> YT a width, does it use that width to restrict the depth of the projection
> (i.e. limits the entire analysis to a cube?)

Nope, by default it does the entire domain if you create a projection
plot object.  Not just a french-fry, either, but the entire domain.

> or does it sum along the entire
> line-of-sight through the whole simulation box (a french fry?). If the
> latter is the default, is there a way to override this?

Yup!  You can create a projection manually:

pf.h.proj( ... )

and specify your data source, which can be a region, a sphere, a disk,
etc etc.  Just specify "source" as an argument, where that is some
other data object.  Then to make a plot of this, use the to_pw()
method on the resultant projection.  Something like this:

proj = pf.h.proj( ... )
pw = proj.to_pw(...)

-Matt