[yt-users] pyplot and libpng

Desika Narayanan dnarayanan at as.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 18 14:00:49 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a little trouble getting pyplot to import using the yt
installation of python.  Specifically, I *just* installed yt on the cluster
at Haverford and get the error below.

I've looked around the yt directoreis for the .so file in question, but
can't seem to find it.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Or is this
likely a system-specific problem?

thanks,
Desika

[desika at fock ~]$ ipython
In [1]: import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-1-eff513f636fd> in <module>()
----> 1 import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

/home/desika/yt-x86_64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py in
<module>()
     24 from matplotlib.cbook import dedent, silent_list, is_string_like,
is_numlike
     25 from matplotlib import docstring
---> 26 from matplotlib.figure import Figure, figaspect
     27 from matplotlib.backend_bases import FigureCanvasBase
     28 from matplotlib.image import imread as _imread

/home/desika/yt-x86_64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/figure.py in
<module>()
     30
     31 from matplotlib import _image
---> 32 from matplotlib.image import FigureImage
     33
     34 import matplotlib.colorbar as cbar

/home/desika/yt-x86_64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/image.py in
<module>()
     20 # For clarity, names from _image are given explicitly in this
module:
     21 import matplotlib._image as _image
---> 22 import matplotlib._png as _png
     23
     24 # For user convenience, the names from _image are also imported into

ImportError: libpng16.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory