[yt-users] yt unable to find sip module

Gary Foreman gforema2 at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 2 14:32:21 PDT 2013

Hello,

Suddenly my yt distribution seems to be broken because it cannot find the
module sip. Sip appears to be a python/C interface that is called by
matplotlib.pyplot. I have tried a few things to resolve the issue, none of
which have worked. I've tried: yt update --all, pip install sip, and
apt-get install yt using the repository mentioned on the Get YT page. pip
install and apt-get install fail for separate reasons, which I can explain
in a future email if necessary.

Since first encountering this problem, I have updated my OS because I
realized I was using an outdated version of Ubuntu. I am now running Ubuntu
12.4 LTS. The OS update did not resolve the issue.

It seems worth mentioning that the default system python distribution is
working fine and I am able to import pyplot as well as sip without a
problem. During a quick search of the yt distribution, I did not find the
same sip related files that I have in my system's python distribution.

Also, as of Friday, things are working fine with the yt distribution I have
on my Mac laptop.

Thanks very much in advance for your help. Please let me know if you would
like me to post some of the error messages I have received from the few
solutions that I've tried.

Gary