[yt-users] volume rendering with artio

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:32:15 PDT 2013

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the bug report -- I tracked it down and it was a pernicious
difference between the number of cells and the number of octs.  It
crept in while I was redoing the ARTIO frontend with Doug a few weeks
ago.  (I was the one who made the mistake, not Doug.)

I've pushed a fix to:

http://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt-3.0

in changeset c86499f6891e.  I was able to off-axis project a sample
dataset, although volume rendering failed with what look like indexing
errors because ARTIO has (1,1,1) patch datasets at the root mesh
level, which are confusing the kD-tree.  Testing against regressions
in this type of thing is not terribly hard, so I am adding that to the
testing suite and will include it in the updates to that that I'm
working on this afternoon.  I should note that as it stands, the
volume rendering of even very small ARTIO data can be very, very slow,
as the VR algorithm is optimized for larger patches.  That will likely
not be fixed for a while, unfortunately, although addressing volume
rendering for non-patch datasets is a priority.

-Matt