[yt-users] Accessing data

Stuart Mumford stuart at mumford.me.uk
Wed Nov 6 07:22:11 PST 2013

> > Horray! I knew there must be a simpler way of doing it! There appears to
> be
> > a lack of examples for using yt as a fancy data reader, and accessing
> > ndarrays, or maybe my google-fu is not what it used to be.
>
> We're trying to make this much more accessible in the new build of the
> docs:
>
> http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/

That's were I was looking, I will have another look over, perhaps I should
have a running clone of the docs, I can add stuff when I find it :)

>  > Ah right ok, so will yt read the whole array in for each field if I do
> > ds.h.grids[0]['density'][:,:,-6] fo example?
>
> Only the density field.  But yes, that's currently how it works for
> *many* of the frontends.  (A few have slice capabilities.)  We *do*
> have the ability to overload these operations in the future, but right
> now the IO gains have not been enough to justify the added complexity.

Ok, I will do some benchmarks and test.

>  > On the topic of frontend, I really could use some guidance on where to
> start
> > with that.
> >
> > Firstly, I haven't really done anything with it yet, I am still wrapping
> my
> > head around using yt and it is less important now I have gone to gdf.
> > Secondly, should I use 2.x or 3.0 when I start?
> >

> For now, for GDF, I'd say 2.x.  I think there are still loose ends for
> GDF in 3.0, but they're release blockers.  So it'll be up to par, it
> just isn't yet.

Interesting.

OK so at the moment my frontend really just has to be an extension of gdf,
it needs to expose a couple of extra things out of the file and define a
few derived fields.

I still really do not know where to start with the frontend, what are the
key components of a frontend and what are it's tasks?

Stuart