[yt-users] Accessing data

Stuart Mumford stuart at mumford.me.uk
Wed Nov 6 06:44:17 PST 2013

Yes, we definitely want you to get your arrays.  -999 means an unfilled
cell.

> Which version of yt are you using?  Can you get the changeset hash?
> And, maybe we can run some diagnostics to check that the data is in
> fact correctly read in.  What's the output of ts[10].h.print_stats() ?

I just updated my repo so I am now on 8913:11eefbd39a54 which gives the
same results. (I really should go up to 3.0?)

 ts[10].h.print_stats()

level	# grids	       # cells	     # cells^3
  0	     1	       2097152	           127
   	     1	       2097152

t = 1.11794008e+01 = 1.11794008e+01 s = 3.54253834e-07 years

Smallest Cell:
	Width: 4.920e-19 Mpc
	Width: 4.920e-19 mpc
	Width: 4.920e-16 kpc
	Width: 4.920e-13 pc
	Width: 1.015e-07 au
	Width: 2.183e-05 rsun
	Width: 7.764e-03 unitary
	Width: 9.434e+00 miles
	Width: 1.518e+01 km
	Width: 1.518e+03 density_bg
	Width: 1.518e+03 density_pert
	Width: 1.518e+06 1
	Width: 1.518e+06 cm
	Width: 1.518e+07 internal_energy_bg
	Width: 1.518e+07 internal_energy_pert
	Width: 1.518e+08 velocity_x
	Width: 1.518e+08 velocity_y
	Width: 1.518e+08 velocity_z
	Width: 1.518e+10 mag_field_x_bg
	Width: 1.518e+10 mag_field_x_pert
	Width: 1.518e+10 mag_field_y_bg
	Width: 1.518e+10 mag_field_y_pert
	Width: 1.518e+10 mag_field_z_bg
	Width: 1.518e+10 mag_field_z_pert

things like SlicePlot also seem to work well. I take it that covering_grid
is the way to go here?

Also is it possible to get the current h5py file instance from a
timeseries? I have put some bonus stuff in my files that dosen't speak yt.

> > On another, related, note:
> > I have a bit of code that executes in serial at the top of a otherwise
> > embarrassingly parallel piece of vtk code, I need the most optimal io
> > possible for this, as it is all io limited, how well is yt suited to
> getting
> > one slice out of my gdf files as fast as humanly possible?
>
> It depends.  We actually found for *many* types of data, where the
> grids are below a threshold, that it's faster to read in and discard
> slices than to read hyperslabs.  This may not be the case now that we
> are using low-level h5py code.  But I'd actually say, just give it a
> shot?

I am not sure I follow, what two methods are you saying I should compare?!

Thanks
Stuart