[yt-users] more gadget visualization

Desika Narayanan dnarayan at haverford.edu
Wed Nov 27 08:56:04 PST 2013

Hey Team YT,

I have a couple of (I think super-easy) questions:

a. How do you paste a script to the yt pastebin?  I've done it successfully
once before, but can't for the life of me figure out how I did it.

b. Relatedly, there's a (like 10 line) script appended below where I
projection plot gas densities from a Gadget simulation.    I'd like to be
able to do the following:

    b.i - I'd like to be able to project other fields.  For example, if I
look at pf.h.field_list, I get that for particle type 0, the fields:
 ('PartType0', 'Masses'), ('PartType0', 'Metallicity') exist.  However, if
I try to project:

>p = ProjectionPlot(pf,'z',(("deposit", "PartType0_metallicity")))

(instead of the successful density line below), I get the error :

>YTFieldNotFound: Could not find field '('deposit',
'PartType0_metallicity')' in snapshot_006.

    b.ii.  Assuming the parts from b.i are possible, is it then possible to
multiply two fields together in the projection (say, I wanted metal mass
and wanted to multiply the particle masses by the particle metallicities).
 Similarly, is it possible to multiply a field by a constant for the
particle deposition into a projection plot?

Thanks,
Desika

-------------------------
from yt.mods import *

snap = "/Users/desika/powderday/grid_data/snapshot_006.hdf5"
bbox = [[-220.0, 220.0],
        [-220.0, 220.0],
        [-220.0, 220.0]]

unit_base = {'UnitLength_in_cm'         : 3.08568e+21,
             'UnitMass_in_g'            :   1.989e+43,
             'UnitVelocity_in_cm_per_s' :      100000}

pf = load(snap,unit_base = unit_base,bounding_box=bbox)
pf.h

p = ProjectionPlot(pf,'z',(("deposit", "PartType0_density")))
p.set_width(200,'kpc')
p.save()