[yt-users] RFC: RAMSES field aliases in yt-3.0

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 07:23:52 PST 2013

Hi all, especially RAMSES users,

I'm setting up aliases to make it easier to load RAMSES datasets that
have different field configurations.

Right now, to specify a different set of fields, you have to do:

pf = load( ... , fields = [ "Density", "x-velocity", ...])

I am going to change this to add on different field configurations
that can be specified with just a string.  For instance:

pf = load(..., fields = "standard_five")

I'm wondering what the different configurations are.  I have these two:

standard_five: Density, x-velocity, y-velocity, z-velocity, Pressure
standard_six: Density, x-velocity, y-velocity, z-velocity, Pressure, Metallicity

But for MHD and RHD, what are the additional fields that should be
added, and in what order?  And are there other common configurations
that should be aliased?

If we can come up with a set of aliases that match most use cases,
that'd work quite well.  I'm going to issue a PR for this shortly, and
hopefully it will make everybody's life a bit easier.