[yt-users] cam.rotate

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 11:51:54 PST 2013

I know this doesn't help much right now, but we're aware that the camera
interface is clunky and can be hard to understand.

There is an open proposal (
https://bitbucket.org/chummels/ytep/src/6200839294df62e3a64e4cdcc240426f6b67959b/source/YTEPs/YTEP-0010.rst)
to write a new volume rendering interface that will hopefully be easier to
work with.  Cameron Hummels is leading that effort - if anyone is
interested in helping out they should contact him.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM, John Regan <johnanthonyregan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry setting north_vector to L was an attempt to fix the problem so the
> image I sent initially was with north_vector set to [1,1,1].
> Setting it to L caused the warning you suggested and I killed the run.
> Maybe I'll try setting it to Lperp though?
>

> On 18 November 2013 21:42, Sam Skillman <samskillman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah, yes, that is in fact the problem -- if north_vector is L and so is
>> the looking vector, it will ignore the north vector. Hopefully an error
>> message was issued something along the lines of:
>> mylog.error("North vector and normal vector are the same.  Disregarding
>> north vector.")
>>
>> What I'd suggest is to set north_vector equal to something else, (a lot
>> of times i just use np.array([0., 0., 1.]) ) and try it again. Another
>> option would be to set it equal to Lperp, which will put Lperp pointing
>> "north" or "up" in the image plane. Then when you rotate you wouldn't even
>> need to supply the rot_vector keyword, as it defaults to rotating around
>> the north vector.
>>
>> Let us know if specifying a different north_vector works.
>>
>> Sam
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM, John Regan <johnanthonyregan at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sam,
>>>
>>> Thanks for looking at this.
>>> c does change at every time step as I want the densest point to always
>>> be at the centre.
>>> What I think might be happening and I'm running a run now to check is
>>> that the north vector is messing things up. What should that be? I've set
>>> it to L for this run while before I just set it to something arbitrary.
>>>
>>> The script is:
>>>
>>> ts =
>>> TimeSeriesData.from_filenames("/wrk/regan/Stats/Halo8/HighRes/HighRes_Ref26_Reg1_All/DMSplit/MovieOutputs/DD*/*.hierarchy",
>>> parallel = True)
>>> comm = MPI.COMM_WORLD
>>>
>>> FileNames =
>>> glob.glob("/wrk/regan/Stats/Halo8/HighRes/HighRes_Ref26_Reg1_All/DMSplit/MovieOutputs/DD*/*.hierarchy")
>>> FileNames.sort()
>>> firstoutputnum = GetSubString(FileNames[0], '\d\d\d\d+')
>>> firstoutputnum = int(firstoutputnum[-1])
>>> #Pre-calculated L
>>> L = [-0.808823, -0.58630473, -0.04530025]
>>> Lperp = []
>>> if comm.rank == 0:
>>>     Lperp =  CalcPerpen(L)
>>> comm.barrier()
>>> Lperp = comm.bcast(Lperp, root=0)
>>> print "Lperp = ", Lperp
>>> # W is the width of the plot in enzo boxsize units
>>> # 1 would be the whole domain
>>> #
>>> SphereSize = 10000      #pc
>>> W = 0.05            #domain units