[yt-users] Parallel python/yt

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 11:21:54 PST 2013

Hi Aaron,

Have you looked at the section of the yt documentation on parallelism?

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/parallel_computation.html

yt uses MPI-based parallelism (powered by the mpi4py package).  Using this
you can iterate over datasets in parallel using `parallel_objects` or
`TimeSeriesData.piter()`.

I'm not sure whether yt operations are safe when done inside a processing
pool like you're trying to do.  I think in principle it should work if all
of the processors are operating on different datasets but clearly something
is breaking somewhere...

In any case, I'd urge you to rewrite your script using yt's native
parallelism.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

-Nathan