[yt-users] ZeroDivisionError: Gadget isolated galaxy sim

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:05:36 PST 2013

Hi Keita,

You’ll also need to supply the box size when you load the data.  Like so:

ds = GadgetStaticOutput('/Users/SilverStar/Desktop/iso_low.dat', unit_base = {"kpc": 1.0}, bounding_box=[[-100, -100, -100], [100, 100, 100]])

Take a look at the __init__ method of GadgetStaticOutput; all of the keyword arguments it accepts can be used when creating a GadgetStaticOutput instance.

The bbox I used in this example might need to be tweaked for your simulation.  It should enclose all of the particles in the domain and be in whatever code units you ran the simulation with.

I think optimally for non-periodic SPH simulations yt would be able to *choose* an appropriate bbox after reading in the list of particle positions.

Since cosmological simulations (which have periodic boundary conditions) and all mesh-based simulations have a bounding box that is intimately linked with the data coordinates, in the past we’ve always known the bounding box when creating the new StaticOutput instance in memory. We don’t have that information for non-periodic SPH datasets.  They are the first ones that yt has had to deal with where we can’t easily decide what the simulation domain is before inspecting all of the data.  That’s why it doesn’t work that way right now, but hopefully (possibly with the help of SPH users) we’ll be able to fix that soon.

-Nathan