[yt-users] Accessing data

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 07:15:17 PST 2013

Hi Stuart,

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Stuart Mumford <stuart at mumford.me.uk> wrote:
> Okay, so it's one big grid.  You can -- in this *particular* case --
>>
>> also just do:
>>
>> pf.h.grids[0]
>>
>> which will be the same as a covering grid covering the whole domain,
>> since it's the grid that covers the whole domain!  :)
>>
>> I'd say stay on 2.x for now, since you're still developing the frontend.
>

> Horray! I knew there must be a simpler way of doing it! There appears to be
> a lack of examples for using yt as a fancy data reader, and accessing
> ndarrays, or maybe my google-fu is not what it used to be.

We're trying to make this much more accessible in the new build of the docs:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/

>> > Also is it possible to get the current h5py file instance from a
>> > timeseries?
>> > I have put some bonus stuff in my files that dosen't speak yt.
>

>> Not yet, but that's on the roadmap.  Britton has done some great work
>> with time series, and we also want to support this type of thing as
>> Cactus does something similar with storing info inside the base
>> time-series datafile.  You can open a new one and as long as you close
>> it, it will get the reference counting correctly.
>

> What about if you open one file?
>

>>  Accessing hyperslabs versus just grabbing the yt stuff.  I'm not sure
>>
>> I totally understand what you're trying to do, I suppose.
>

> Ah right ok, so will yt read the whole array in for each field if I do
> ds.h.grids[0]['density'][:,:,-6] fo example?

Only the density field.  But yes, that's currently how it works for
*many* of the frontends.  (A few have slice capabilities.)  We *do*
have the ability to overload these operations in the future, but right
now the IO gains have not been enough to justify the added complexity.

> On the topic of frontend, I really could use some guidance on where to start
> with that.
>
> Firstly, I haven't really done anything with it yet, I am still wrapping my
> head around using yt and it is less important now I have gone to gdf.
> Secondly, should I use 2.x or 3.0 when I start?

For now, for GDF, I'd say 2.x.  I think there are still loose ends for
GDF in 3.0, but they're release blockers.  So it'll be up to par, it
just isn't yet.