[yt-users] non-converted fields?

David Collins dcollins at physics.ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 28 13:18:01 PDT 2013

I tried Nathan's suggestion, but I'm still getting fields in CGS.  I
did the following, and just ran it in a script (not messing with the
plugins for now).  Is there anything else I need to do?  What I think
is happening is that in D2, data['Density'] is already converted to
cgs when it gets returned by D2.  Is there an easy way to get the
density conversion function that's getting used, so I can have the
converter return the inverse?  I added the ValidateGridType in order
to try to force it to be read before the convert, that didn't work.

def D2(field,data):
    return data['Density']
def no_convert(data):
    return 1
add_field('D2',function=D2,convert_function=no_convert,
validators=[ValidateGridType()])

> Nathan's suggestion is a good one, as well.  In principle I don't know
> why the conversion_factors option to the Enzo Static Output wouldn't
> work for this as well.

I dropped this method a while ago when other yt things started to
break.  I was doing something like this, but when I do it other things
like "load" stop working. Even just creating this class, not actually
doing anything with it, causes load to fail silently.

class EnzoStaticOutputMHD(EnzoStaticOutput):
    def __init__(self,*args,**kwargs):
        Conversion=2.5e-9/4.32e-7
        EnzoStaticOutput.__init__(self,*args,conversion_override={

'MagneticField_C_1': Conversion,

'MagneticField_C_2':  Conversion,

'MagneticField_C_3':  Conversion,

'MagneticField_F_1':  Conversion,

'MagneticField_F_3':  Conversion,

'MagneticField_F_2':  Conversion},
                                     **kwargs)

> If we had your subclass or some type of test incorporated into yt, we
> would be able to verify that this functionality that you rely on
> continues to work.  It can be difficult to anticipate all use cases
> for the code, but this seems like one that could be valuable.
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Another option would be to temporarily define a new field that has a null or
>> trivial conversion function.
>>
>> This field could live in your ~/.yt/my_plugins.py file so no need to touch
>> the yt codebase.
>>
>> -Nathan
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:18 PM, David Collins <dcollins4096 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That reads a single grid from the hierarchy?  Can I get yt to do projections
>> and whatnot in those units?
>>
>> Previously I had subclassed EnzoStaticOutput with customized conversion
>> factors.  It's a bit outdated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> d.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote: