[yt-users] Trouble with SFR plots of enzo data

Munier Azzam Salem msalem at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 5 13:10:35 PST 2013

Hey Guys,

     Matt -- It seems particle type is being printed by enzo for these
runs, (and it is consistently set to 2 or "NormalStar"). My guess is the
SFR routines aren't using this.

     Christine -- I think you may be right about the corruption of the
particle time, since the two curves that go back to the start of the run
diverge over time. I'll report back if any developments happen.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Christine Simpson <
csimpson at astro.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hi Munier,
>
> Could it also be that the creation times of particles are somehow being
> corrupted?  The star analysis module relies on the creation times to do its
> summing etc.  So is it possible that the same star particle could have
> different creation times in different outputs.  As long as those times are
> greater than 0, the kind of simple sum that Stephen (and I earlier) showed
> you would pick them up, but the kind of time-binned analysis that the star
> analysis module does would show discrepancies.
>
> Christine
>
> On Mar 5, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Munier Azzam Salem wrote:
>
> Alright, I'll take a look.
>
> But, I should emphasize that when I open each individual data file, sum
> the particle masses, and plot, the total mass increases monotonically over
> time, and agrees well with the decrease in gas mass. It's only when I
> analyze via the star formation module that I see the jump.
>

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
>
>> Hi Munier,
>>
>> >      Here is the cumulative mass, plotted from the same three data
>> files.
>> > It's clear particles are being lost ...
>>
>> Aha! That is kind of what I was suspecting! So this looks like it
>> might be an Enzo problem. I'd recommend trying to figure out what
>> happened there. Perhaps there was an error during a restart or somehow
>> two different simulations got mixed up? Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Skory
>> s at skory.us
>> http://stephenskory.com/