[yt-users] Trouble with SFR plots of enzo data

Munier Azzam Salem msalem at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 5 12:49:20 PST 2013

Okay, this is very interesting:

I printed dd["creation_time"] for the 10th data dump (last before
restarting enzo) and the 11th and 12th (just after restarting). The former
has all non-zero creation times. The other two have many, many zeroed out
creation times. My theory is this IS enzo's fault, and that it's zeroing
out the creation time when it loads in data for a restart run.

My ham-fisted method of opening each file and summing all particle masses
got around this because I wasn't checking creation time > 0.0. I can get
away with this because I do not have live dark matter, but in general this
should be fixed (in enzo).

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:

> > But, I should emphasize that when I open each individual data file, sum
> the
> > particle masses, and plot, the total mass increases monotonically over
> time,
> > and agrees well with the decrease in gas mass. It's only when I analyze
> via
> > the star formation module that I see the jump.
>
> Ah, maybe I'm jumping the gun on blaming Enzo. You can do your own
> simple tests for the star particle mass like this outside of the star
> particle analysis module:
>
> dd = pf.h.all_data()
> ct = dd['creation_time']
> sel = (ct > 0)
> pm = dd['ParticleMassMsun'][sel]
> total_pm = pm.sum()
>
> Can you tell me if total_pm makes sense across your datasets?
>

> --
> Stephen Skory
> s at skory.us
> http://stephenskory.com/