[yt-users] Blank images for simple volume rendering

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 20:04:12 PDT 2013

Hi Noel,

My guess is that your density field spans several orders of magnitude in
value, and that the transfer function is being set up in linear space,
causing all sorts of havoc.  I think you added the following before the tf
= ColorTransferFuctiont((mi,ma)) call:

mi, ma = np.log10(mi), np.log10(ma)
pf.h
pf.field_info['density'].take_log=True

and use tf = ColorTransferFuctiont((mi-1,ma+1))

then use:
tf.add_layers(4, colormap="hsv", col_bounds=[mi,ma])

This will pad the TF with a bit extra space on the lower/upper bounds.
 When you add the layers, the col_bounds keyword will restrict the
gaussians of emission to be within the range mi to ma.

Please let us know whether or not that works.

Best,
Sam