[yt-users] integrated quantities in cylindrical

Roman Yurchak rth at crans.org
Tue Jun 18 15:25:03 PDT 2013

Hi Suoqing,

On 18/06/13 19:00, Suoqing Ji wrote:
> I assume the quantity 'CylindricalCellMass' is a derived field defined by yourself? I usually define the 2d cylindrical cell volume as followings:
> [...]
yes, that's pretty much the expression I was using.

> And for my data set, the output given by YT (use dd.quantities['TotalQuantity']('CylCellMass')[0]) and FLASH subroutine (IO_writeIntegralQuantities) match down to the machine accuracy.

ahh, thank you for your response! It made me realize two things:

(a) I made a stupid mistake while sorting different time steps, and for
a normal 2d cylindrical FLASH simulation I do have convergence to
machine precision between the two methods.

(b) I was post-processing a simulation that has a few coarse blocks
removed and used as new boundary conditions in order to get a
non-rectangular domain (see
source/Simulation/SimulationMain/WindTunnel/Simulation_defineDomain.F90
in FLASH source, or the illustration here:
  http://perso.crans.org/yurchak/i/illustations_yt.pdf
 ). This seems to be the origin of the issue I've been experiencing (and
that's still there).

I looks like yt, treats this configuration partly ok as for instance
none of leaf blocks has for parent a block that was removed. On the
other side though:
  * there this issue with d.quantities['TotalQuantity']
  * a slice shows that there is some plasma propagating through the
region that's supposed to be treated as outside of the simulation (with
removed blocks) and there is nothing there in VisIt.

So, anyway, thanks for narrowing it down.

Would you have any suggestions how to deal with this issue?

--
Roman