[yt-users] Installation Failure

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 11:57:11 PDT 2013

Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.  This is the first we've heard of
someone trying to install yt on Springdale Linux so unfortunately I don't
have a panacea.

The error you're seeing is due to not having the SSL libraries installed.
 To fix it, you'll need to install the 'openssl' and 'openssl-devel'
packages.  If you don't have root access to the machine you're installing
on, you'll need to discuss this with the sysadmin.

There may be other packages you'll need as well.  For example, on ubuntu we
suggest installing libssl-dev, build-essential, libncurses5,
libncurses5-dev, zip, uuid-dev, libfreetype6-dev, and tk-dev.  I'm not sure
what overlap in necessary packages there is between red hat based linux
distros like Springdale and debian-based distros like ubuntu.

Also, if worse comes to worse, you might have more success with a manual yt
install, described here:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/advanced/installing.html#manual-installation.

Cheers,

Nathan