[yt-users] error in installing yt-3.0a2

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:11:43 PDT 2013

Hi Keita,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Keita Todoroki
<keitee at physics.unlv.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting this error during the installation and I'm not sure exactly why.
> Could you take a look at this? I just downloaded the 3.0a2 package
> publicly available on Bitbucket to try visualizing my SPH snaps. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Keita
>

> Error compiling Cython file:
>     cdef void *tree_root
>     cdef int num_root
>     cdef int max_root
>
> cdef extern from "search.h" nogil:
>     void *tsearch(const void *key, const void **rootp,
>                             ^
>
> yt/geometry/oct_container.pxd:81:29: Expected ')', found '*'
>
> error: 2 errors while compiling 'yt/geometry/oct_container.pyx' with Cython

Ah, I think I see the issue -- basically, Cython 0.19 is needed for
"const" variables.  So there are two solutions:

1) Update Cython, which you can do by issuing this command (inside the
yt environment):

pip install -U Cython

2) Edit that file and remove the word "const" where it appears.

I'm going to update the Cython version that the nistall script
provides so that we can avoid this in the future -- I'll ping back to
the list when that's done.

Hope that helps, and good luck!