[yt-users] MemoryError when using BinnedProfile1D

Yuan Li bear0980 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 18:43:55 PDT 2013

Hi yt users,

I have been having trouble using BinnedProfile1D. I am using the same
script that seemed to be working before. Now it is giving me "MemoryError":
http://paste.yt-project.org/show/A67caGKsv6mFqA83MZoZ/

I can still use it on a low resolution run without a problem.

I am not sure why it needs so much memory (I am already asking for 30 gb of
memory). If I do a similar analysis with plotcollection and
add_profile_sphere for the same data, I do not need to ask for much memory
at all. I thought BinnedProfile1D would need less memory
than add_profile_sphere. Please let me know if I was wrong and the job
simply requires a lot of memory.

What I am trying to do is just very basic analysis:
sp=pf.h.sphere([0.5, 0.5, 0.5], rmax/pf['kpc'])
sp_in=sp.cut_region(["grid['Theta']>0.6"])
prof=BinnedProfile1D(sp_in, 128, "Radiuskpc", 1e-2,rmax)
r=prof["Radiuskpc"]
prof.add_fields("Temperature",weight="CellMassMsun")

It usually fails at the temperature part. Please let me know if you have
any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you!
Yuan