[yt-users] Analysis of projected quantities

David Collins dcollins4096 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 09:53:39 PDT 2013

Hi, Harald--

If you make a projection like this:
>>> proj = pf.h.proj(0,'Density')

then proj has most of the quantities you want.

>>> proj['Density']

will give you a flat array of the density in the 2d projection.

>>> proj.keys()
['pdy', 'pdx', 'weight_field', 'px', 'py', 'Density']

here, 'pdx' and 'pdy' are the half-widths of the zones, 'px' and 'py' are
the positions of the zone centers

It also will get projections that you haven't already done.  For instance,
proj['x-velocity'] will make a projection of the x-velocity, then return
the array.

I don't know if you can stick it into BinnedProfiles, but since the arrays
are 2d, I always just make my own binning loop, I find it fast enough even
on pretty big datasets.

I hope that helps,
d.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Harald Braun <
hbraun at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to do some analysis on projected quantities (or column densities)
> and quantities derived from those, like ratios etc.
> How can I use the output of some projections to derive some other
> quantities from it?
> How can I use those as inputs for BinnedProfileXd()-stuff, to compute
> profiles and phase plots?
> This would be extremely useful for analyzing my disk galaxy simulations.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best.
> Harald

-- Sent from a computer.