[yt-users] yt + x11 on a mac

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 10:49:19 PST 2013

Hi Mark,

I've never encountered the exact problem you're running into. However, I
think a workaround would be to reinstall yt using the python
installation you've set up via macports.  There is more information on a
manual yt installation in the yt docs:

http://yt-project.org/doc/advanced/installing.html#manual-installation

Although it looks like those instructions are a bit out of date.  On my
mac, I use homebrew to set up python and compiled dependencies of yt and
then use pip to install all of the pure-python dependencies. I've used
this script (http://paste.yt-project.org/show/3084/) in the past to set
up a yt installation based on the current development tip.  This will
clone the main yt development repository to ~/Documents/src.

I don't know if this will work on a macports-based installation of python.

I hope that was helpful.  Perhaps others on the list have had luck
setting up X11 forwarding using a sandboxed yt installation on a mac.

-Nathan