[yt-users] Problems with Scipy

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:06:54 PST 2013

Hi Jose,

yt installs its own python installation that is completely separate from
the other python installations on your system.  We did this to guard
against issues that many people have run into over the years that crop
up when setting up yt to work with a python installation that already
exists on a system.

You should be able to get scipy working by doing the following at the
command line:

pip install scipy

You'll have to do this inside the yt environment.  One downside to this
way of setting up scipy is that you will have two separate installations
of scipy on your hard drive.  You might also be able to get your current
installation of scipy working with the version of python that yt
installs by adjusting the PYTHONPATH environment variable, although I'm
not sure if that will cause other issues.

It's possible that the scipy installation will fail since scipy has a
large number of internal dependencies that some compiler/OS combinations
have trouble with.  Let us know if you have trouble getting scipy
working this way.

Cheers,

Nathan