[yt-users] Visualising spectral cube data in yt

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 08:10:06 PST 2013

Hi Paco,

I think you'll have a bit of luck if once you do:
cube = fits.getdata('UCM2317_v300_com_sum.FC_AMC.fits')

you then reshape it to be 3D.  It may actually work to do something like:
cube.shape = 27, 328, 247
or some permutation of number that multiply to give you the same final cell
count.  I am just guessing at what these dimensions are based on the
original shape. You may have to manually re-arrange the data if the order
gets messed up.

If you end up having luck loading it up, please let us know.  We are very
new to having observational astronomers load up their data, so I can't
promise it will be a smooth process, but definitely fun to try out!

Cheers,
Sam