[yt-users] OutSRV Re: ART time

Pedro Colin p.colin at crya.unam.mx
Tue Feb 19 19:06:46 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

Soon after I sent the message I realized time was in seconds, thanks. I am
familiar with the conversion of time because I use it in some of my analysis
programs but my point here is if yt-ART really needs that conversion.

Pedro

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:56:00 -0800, Christopher Moody wrote
> Hi Pedro,
> Does the time look so bad? That number of seconds corresponds to
> 13.88 Gyrs. As for the KeyError, most codes use pf["Time"] to
> indicate the conversion factor between code units and time units.
> I've never filled this out, since as you point out, there's a
> complicated nonlinear relation between code time units and seconds.
> Alternatively we could write pf.conversion_factors["Time"]=1.0 and
> avoid this error.
>
> Nevertheless, you can check out how the code time -> seconds time works
> here in the b2t function:

https://bitbucket.org/juxtaposicion/yt/src/b529d44c0de571a1d5afb5695b9a1501052
428d6/yt/frontends/art/io.py?at=yt#cl-550The above function (and the set of
functions it calls) is translated from some of Daniel Ceverino's ART-analyzing
Fortran code. Because they involve finding the zero-point of a function that
in turn requires a numerical integration, the routine can be quite slow,
despite using interpolation. Nevertheless, I think it still gives correct
answers.