[yt-users] using Intel compilers

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:25:05 PST 2013

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Mark Kremenetsky <mdk at sgi.com> wrote:
> Nathan,
>  The goal is to port ENZO on Intel  PHI processor 9 also called MIC).

Awesome!

> It can
> be done only by using Intel compilers and Intel MPI.
>  I For x86_64 i can build ENZO with Intel compiler and Intel MPI and it
> linked to all other libraries that were build by
>
> install script.sh using gcc.
>
> But in order to make a build for MIC all components should be built with icc
> -mmic  compiler.
> So my actual question relates only to all those packages that install
> script.sh downloading and compiling ( HF5, Python, etc)

I think that unless you're building Enzo with support for yt inline,
you don't need to worry about any libraries other than HDF5.  (Enzo
doesn't use any compression libraries inside HDF5.)  So my
recommendation would be to use yt as built for inspection of data and
verification of results, and link *both* against an HDF5 installation
that has been properly compiled with the MIC support.

I *believe* you can do this, if you are building a shared library, by
simply building the HDF5 library again inside $YT_DEST/src/hdf5-1.8.9/
. You can do the usual of "make distclean ; ./configure
--prefix=$YT_DEST/ ... ; make install" and I believe it should work.
The only caution I have is that neither Enzo nor yt needs / wants the
parallel, Fortran or C++ HDF5 bindings, so it should be fine to just
set the CC, CFLAGS, LD, LDFLAGS environment variables and rebuild.
And I think that the dynamic linking against the HDF5 should work on
the yt side for verification/validation of results.

However, if this is not the case, I would encourage you to do
something similar to the above, but specify a different --prefix.  The
Enzo make system is flexible enough that you can easily swap out
linking against a different HDF5 library.  If you're still building
Enzo, I'd recommend starting with Make.mach.ubuntu, which is a fairly
generic configuration.  You should only need to set the various
compiler options and library linkages; you do *not* need to specify
any of the PYTHON stuff, as that's an optional component.

I hope that this has been helpful -- and while this is kind of
Enzo-related, since you're building on the yt stack I'd like to
encourage you to write back (to this list) with any trouble you have
with the libraries or build problems that might be related to the yt
stack; any Enzo-specific stuff of course can go to the Enzo list if
you'd rather.  But regardless, good luck, and I hope to hear from you
soon!

Best,

Matt