[yt-users] TotalQuantity vs. summing manually

John ZuHone jzuhone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 19:05:42 PST 2013

I think it depends on what you are trying to measure. If you're concerned with grid quantities maybe it makes more sense to use the dark matter density. It is certainly more accurate in a localized sense, since it is essentially the DM mass interpolated.

However, since you're looking at a total quantity, the larger the region is the less the difference between the two will matter.

Neither quantity is really "better", if you ask me. It's more important just to be aware of what the subtle difference is between them.

In any case, the difference in the total quantity is about a few percent it looks like. Are you attempting to quantify something with that level of sensitivity?

John ZuHone
Laboratory for High-Energy Astrophysics
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
8800 Greenbelt Rd., Mail Code 662